Newborn checklist : 7 Things to consider before the baby arrival
I decided to write this list to help me and other mamas to be prepare for the new family member arriving soon.
When I plan for a vacation i normally go through how i would spend the day in my mind and start preparing my stuff accordingly.
This is what I did to prepare this list. These 7 steps will help you organize your shopping for the baby:
1- Clothing :
Getting enough onseies , bodysuits will help you with the laundry piles. From my previous experience with Naya we used to have 3 to 4 changes a day approximately.
I would plan my laundry every 2 days.
Based on that you need to get the below:
• 10 - 15 bodysuits ( My advice is get them all in white color) since we live in Dubai i would get them in short sleeves. If you live in a colder weather getting them in long sleeves would be a good idea.
• 10 to 12 sleeping onesies ( i personally prefer to get the ones with zipper , it is easier to change at night )
• 3 to 4 (2 pieces outfit) for going out.
• 4 newborn hats.
• 4 scratch mittens , to keep baby from scratching his face.
• 4 socks / booties in case the onesies are open.
2- Feeding :
Before 6 months you will not need much , especially if you are exclusively breastfeeding.
Newborn - 6 months :
• Burp cloths ( Not many 2 or 3 are enough)
• Bibs ( Get 8 soft ones with a waterproofing material from the back to prevent milk getting to the onesie)
• Nursing pillow ( it is a life saver ! And prevent back pain during feeding times)
Now if you are breastfeeding you will need to get
• Breast pump ( if you are a working mom, or you need some help with feedings )
• Breast pads
• Nursing bras
• Milk storage containers
• Nipple lotion
If you are formula feeding you need to get :
• You will need to start with the 4 ounces bottles ( 8 Bottles)
• At around 4 months , you will need to switch to 8 ounces.
• Brush for cleaning Bottles.
• Sterilizer, i continued to sterilize until 6 months of age.
• Thermal container to keep hot water for when you go out.( This is optional, personally i used room temperature water to prepare the bottle)
This can be a very easy and enjoyable time if you setup the bathing needs next to you and have the baby placed in a safe position to start the process.
• Washcloths ( you can also use a natural sponge as well) I prefer the cloths because I can wash them frequently.
• shower gel
• Baby tub
• Soft towels
• Cotton balls
• Body oil
4- Sleeping :
• Crib and mattress
• 3 fitted sheets
• Mattress protector ( waterproof )
• Sleeping bag ( I prefer to use them when the baby starts pushing the blanket and cover his face)
• 2 To 3 blankets
• 2 to 3 Swaddles
You should appreciate the first few months of changing diapers! Trust me they are the easiest, the older the baby the harder the mission gets.
• Changing table
• Padded waterproof changing mat
• Wiping cloths for bottoms / I personally love to use them instead of wipes, it reduces the possibility of diaper rash.
• Nappies cream
6- Health :
Mommy's worst nightmare, seeing your baby suffering. But you need to have your kit ready to face this phase. Most important thing is to know a good pediatric you can rely on.
• Baby thermometer ( best way to measure temperature is from the bottom, However i I used the laser one on forehead because i didn't want to interrupt her sleep)
• Medicine for fever ( Check with your pediatric)
• I got Naya a humidifier in her room and it was a great investment, it controls the room humidity and air cleanliness
7- Other Items :
• Play mat ( great for tummy time )
• Rocking chair
• Baby carrier
• Diaper bag
• Car seat
• Pampering Kit
• Bottle warmer
• Stomach belt ( warmer) i used it alot first few months to help reduce stomach ache.
I hope this is useful! Please let me know if you want me to recommend anything else or certain brands for the items.
Have a safe delivery Mama.
The party Mum